Sunday, April 02, 2006

J. Tillman, Damien Jurado, Rocky Votolato in Provo

Last night we got to the venue where Damien Jurado and Rocky Votolato were playing, Velour, and they said it was sold out. We stuck it out though, knowing full-well we'd get in. Sure enough we did after ten minutes or so. There was some local guy playing an acoustic set who was okay but nothing noteworthy.

I didn't know that singer-songwriter J. Tillman was going to be playing at the show. I'd seen his name around on many blogs and heard a song but didn't really know what to expect. We were kind've expecting stoner/surfer-rock but he proved us wrong. Tillman has this wonderful voice that reminds me of a better Damien Rice or a less Southern Sam Beam.

Damien Jurado played his set, with many of the same songs as when I saw him with Low. Man that guy has some pipes! His voice gets really worked up on a few songs and it really startles you because of his quietness on everything else. Really awesome, would see again and again. The cellist, Jenna, is really cute too.

Rocky Votolato didn't really do much for me. I don't know his back work, but I don't think I'd like it too much. Just reminded me of a more readily-liked Dashboard Confessional or a lesser Ted Leo. He was a nice guy but his set kinda dragged on.

Might have some pictures later...

J. Tillman-Seven States Across
J. Tillman-Cecile, My Love

3 comments:

music is art said...

damien jurado is amazing! would love to see yr pictures.

Anonymous said...

tillman gives me weird vibes. talented, but a phony, I say!

Anonymous said...

hmmm... i saw him at the Low show and in Provo as well... small world.