Sunday, April 23, 2006

YEAH

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Blood on the Wall at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. I was thinking it was going to be in their student union ballroom, but it ended up being outside on a stage where Yellowcard played the night before. Pretty nuts. Last time I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Oklahoma City it was at the Diamond Ballroom. Guess they just have a thing about ballrooms maybe?
Anyway it was a strange crowd, because U of U students got in free, so a lot of people were there for lack of anything else to do (c'mon guys! Stellastarr* and Editors were playing in SLC. Did anyone go? I really wish I could've hit both but I was exhausted). Blood on the Wall was pretty good, a brother and sister with their friend. Not extraordinary music, but the guy's voice reminds me of the Two Gallants guy's voice.
Karen O is still as exuberant as ever. That's the thing I love the most about her, she just looooves being on stage and you can totally tell. So you're having an awesome time knowing she's having an awesome time. They played pretty much all of Show Your Bones which makes sense of course. I was thinking Imaad Wasif was going to be opening but sadly he didn't! He did rock the acoustic guitar and keyboards though for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The encore was probably the best, satiating the MTV crowd with "Maps" and treating old/die-hard fans with "Art Star." Best song of the night. Oh well maybe besides "Turn Into" which has fast concretely become my favorite song off the new record.
Here's the rest of their tourdates, be sure to catch them if you can:
04/25 Paramount Theater, Seattle
04/26 Roseland Theatre, Portland
04/28 Warfield Theatre, San Francisco
04/29 Warfield Theatre, San Francisco
04/30 Coachella Festival, Indio
05/02 Roseland Ballroom, New York
05/03 Roseland Ballroom, New York
Sorry my pics kinda suck but the crowd was pretty pushy/I'm a sucky photographer/my camera was $150. More pics of Karen O standing around (I could never catch her in action)

4 comments:

jenny said...

You should be a professional blogger, my friend.

Dainon. said...

Yeah, that last song, when she sounded like she was exorcising her demons onstage? Bloody freaking awesome. I took some shots, but it looks like you were a hell of a lot closer than I was.

i i eee said...

Your pics turned out pretty awesome! It was a great show, I love Karen O.

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this was like 8 months ago, but does anyone have the setlist? i would really really appreciate it! if you could email it to blastair@gmail.com i would probably be the happiest guy in the world... yep probably... thanks!