Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Driving Discs

I got a couple new CDs yesterday and test drove them, literally. I'm judging them now on how they performed in my car while driving isolated country roads in East Texas. They might sound different sitting at home or in a club setting.

The Walkmen's new disc A Hundred Miles Off was not very good for driving. Hamilton Leithauser (what a Wes Anderson name, huh?)'s voice really drove me up the wall. All of the songs sounded much alike, except for "Louisiana," which stuck out with its trumpets and maracas. I was hoping the whole album would be more like this, but it's much of the same "Rat"-less Bows + Arrows and Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone. A little disappointing but I'll give it more tries. The album comes out May 23rd, catch them on tour.
Download "Louisiana" at The Rich Girls Are Weeping.

Wolfmother's self-titled disc was amazing to drive to. I'd only heard the MSTRKRFT remix of "Woman," and I now like the original much much better. The tracks are rollicking and perfect for backwoods hauling. I didn't know many of the lyrics but I felt that I should have, and I think I'm ready to forgive the singer's ugly 'fro. You've probably heard more Wolfmother than I have, but I loved the CD, but maybe wouldn't like it in a home setting.
Wolfmother-Dimension (via Stoner Rock)

Still to come: new Sonic Youth and Snow Patrol. Maybe tomorrow if I drive anywhere today.

So there you have it. A couple CDs you can now judge for yourself in your car. You might not have epic 25 minute journeys everywhere you drive but you can still enjoy these CDs, and maybe test how much you like them.

No comments: