Friday, May 12, 2006

Driving Discs: Snow Patrol & Sonic Youth

Okay so here's trying to repeat what I did on Wednesday, listening to CDs in my car and seeing how I feel about them. Sounds easy yeah? Well...it is.
Today's two new discs are:

Snow Patrol's Eyes Open seems pretty harmless over all. I can see it gaining mass appeal for its simplistic rocking almost 90s radio guitar style. It sounds like when bands who had a hit in the 90s try and do another one today and it sounds like a more updated, cleaner version of what they had.
I saw Snow Patrol opening for Metric a couple years ago at SXSW and frankly was almost put to sleep. It seems they've woken up for the new record thankfully to give their music some room the breathe. Nothing special, but it won't offend your tastes.
Preview 5 tracks from the album.
Track highlight: "Set the Fire to the Third Bar" with Martha Wainwright.

Sonic Youth's Rather Ripped was the winner in this cage match. Sonic Youth has the ability to sound very similar to what they've been doing but still make it interesting to listen to. I love that Kim and Thurston swap vocal duties on all the tracks, because I'm still hanging on to hear what each of them have to say. Comes out June 13th.
Sonic Youth-Do You Believe in Rapture?
Also check out "Incinerator"

1 comment:

coxon le woof said...

You know, no matter how much I love Sonic Youth, I find them impossible to listen to in the car.

Just isn't driving music. Weird.

Anyway, i can't wait to hear the new album.