Tuesday, January 17, 2006

There's Too Much Space


For French folk band Hey Hey My My, a lot of things come in twos: two hey's, two my's, two guys, two guys named Julien, and two guitars. Here's a little explanation on their creation:
"It all began on February 9th 2005, while singing a few songs for friends during one of the Julien’s birthday party, a fire broke out in the apartment. Luckily, no one was hurt, more fright than harm, but this inspired the two Julien’s to think of a part of a Neil Young song saying « It’s better to burn out than to fade away », which lead them to name their group with the title of this song : «hey hey my my»."
The song "Too Much Space" is a beautiful frolicking masterpiece, filled with glimmering guitars, upbeat drums, and a singer's voice that sort of sounds like Air (must be the French thing). It's a really beautiful song. They have two other songs on their MySpace that are both equally beautiful but more downbeat.

Too Much Silence

1 comment:

Tim Young said...

I love the French pop voice. Having spent a little bit of time in France I'm really starting to get into the way they seem to be able to do good paired down pop with sounding pretencious. Nice choice!

On a different note I've just published one of my own tunes on my blog at The Face of Today . Any opinions most welcome.