Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Fresh Cherries

I was really flattered when Douglas Martin e-mailed me about his music-making project, Fresh Cherries From Yakima. The Seattle-based singer-songwriter has his first effort The North Caroline EP available to those who want it simply by e-mailing him. The whole thing was fundd by him and recorded in his living room so I guess he doesn't want people to have to pay for it, which is pretty cool.
The songs I've heard by him remind me of some folky acts like Akron/Family and Devendra Banhart, but then the genre seems to shift to normal singer-songwriter efforts you've heard all your life. The production is simple and honest, and the guitar-playing bare. Some songs are accented by percussion.
On the EP there are two covers of Decemberists songs

You can download four songs from the EP from his MySpace and if you like those, e-mail him for a copy of his CD.

I was very chuffed when he offered me this next song, a Wolf Parade cover. It's a pretty good stripped down version that hasn't been heard by many.
You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son

1 comment:

guild wars 2 gold said...

Thanks for sharing the songs, its very good song