Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Robot Ate Spoon

Today I'm gonna highlight artists that are coming through Dallas in the end of this week that I feel like, if you live in the area, you might consider seeing them, and if you live out of the area you consider listening to them and maybe seeing them on tour if your stars are aligned.

The Robot Ate Me
So. Tomorrow night at Rubber Gloves in Denton, The Robot Ate Me will be playing. Now, I haven't heard much from them. I have their latest CD, Carousel Waltz, but honestly I haven't given it as much listening as I ought to have. I have faith that they will put on a good show because Slim Moon had the faith to sign them to the label I love, Kill Rock Stars. From what I have heard, they weren't what I was expecting. Judging by the name I thought it would be a lot of electric fuzz and robotic vocals but really it's just a guy singing great melodies over some orchestration and guitar. I'm the worst reviewer ever.

Robot Ate Me-On Vacation
Robot Ate Me-Genocide Ball
Robot Ate Me-Bad Feelings from Carousel Waltz

23 - Denton, TX - Rubber Gloves
24 - Austin, TX - Church of the Friendly Ghost
25 - Oklahoma City, OK - Conservatory
26 - Clovis, NM - The Hole
27 - Denver, CO - Larimer Lounge
28 - Salt Lake City, UT - Kilby Court
29 - Las Vegas, NV - Balcony Lights
30 - Flagstaff, AZ - Space 111
July 01 - Tucson, AZ - Solar Culture
02 - San Diego, CA - The Che Café
03 - Los Angeles, CA - The Smell
05 - Santa Barbara, CA - Morning Glory Music
06 - San Francisco, CA - Bottom of The Hill
07 - Portland, OR - Solid State
08 - Seattle, WA - TBA

Spoon
Now, I doubt I really actually have to tell you how great Spoon is. I've seen them a couple times live and they put on a good one. They're from Austin so they get the local love, but it's worth it. Their 2003 album Kill the Moonlight is probably up there in my top five of all-time favorites, it's that good. Anyway, rest assured that the boys will pull out any stops.

Spoon-The Beast and Dragon, Adored (live at the Gothic Theater in Denver) Download the entire show.
Spoon-I Turn My Camera On
Spoon-Paper Tigers
Spoon-Believing is Art

06.24 * Dallas, TX @ Gypsy Tearoom w/ Sally Crewe and the Sudden Moves
06.25 * Austin, TX @ Stubb's w/ Sally Crewe and the Sudden Moves
07.16 * Brooklyn, NY @ Siren Music Festival
07.24 * Chicago, IL @ Lollapalooza
07.30 * San Diego, CA @ Street Scene
08.12 * Denver, CO @ Red Rocks
09.23 * Austin, TX @ Austin City Limits Festival

Voxtrot
Believe it or not, Voxtrot is another band from Austin. They breed many good ones. Anyway, the thing about Voxtrot is...they only have a single out. It's called The Start of Something and is very good and has a lovely B-side but, where is the real content you ask? Well, their debut five song-EP Raised By Wolves is going to have it's proper release this Friday at a release party in Austin at Emo's with the Deathray Davies and others. I was going to see them at SXSW but there was a scheduling conflict somewhere and I figured since they're from Austin that I'd see 'em again soon. And I predicted right. Anyway, I hear they are great great great live so come out to Hailey's on Saturday in Denton and see 'em play and buy the EP.

Voxtrot-Raised By Wolves
Voxtrot-The Start of Something

June 24-Austin, TX @ Emo's w/ Deathray Davies, Belaire, Diamond Caverns
June 25-Denton, TX @ Hailey's w/Rogue Wave, Helio Sequence
July 6-Costa Mesa, CA @ Detroit Bar-Free Show!
July 7 Los Angeles, CA @ Silverlake Lounge w/My Favorite, Old Haunts, Bipolar Bear
July 8 San Francisco, CA @ The Rickshaw-SF Popfest w/My Favorite, Scarlet's Well
July 10 Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge w/My Favorite, Eux Autres Free Show!
July 12 Seattle, WA @ Sunset Tavern w/ My Favorite
July 14 Salt Lake City, UT @ Kilby COurt
July 15 Denver, CO @ Hi-Dive



No comments: