Thursday, June 30, 2005

Band Names You Like to Say Out Loud

Today I am featuring some classy tunes from some bands that put some thought into a lengthy name. In the future these names could cause trouble when a)in a hurry to get somewhere but they must write their band name down b) telling it to hard-of-hearing friend who must hear it several times making your mouth dry c) coming up with cover art based on the Big Level from Mario. Okay I doubt those ever happen. But I do think that there is some complex longname bands have that they give albums and songs long titles also.

I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness has been one of my favorite band names. Coincidentally they are from the nearby Austin. Sadly they only have one EP to their name. Their website says they have recently signed with Secretly Canadian, home of Antony & the Johnsons, The Impossible Shapes, Magnolia Electric Co.,and Scout Niblett. The album should be coming out sometime in '06. Oh, and their EP was produced by Britt Daniel of Spoon.

I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness-When You Go Out
I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness-We're Still the Weaker Sex

Alright this next don't know a whole lot about Thunderbirds Are Now! except that they have a great name, Pitchfork loves them (and as punishment they are playing Intonation Fest) and they just released an EP entitled Necks. Okay so maybe their name isn't that long but it seems like it is. Maybe it's the exclamation point.

Thunderbirds Are Now!-Do the Splits and Say Neat
Thunderbirds Are Now!-Eat this City

Okay I beat most of you cool kids already know about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah but they do fit the category of today's theme so they must be used and further abused. And yes you probably already have these mp3s from their website. This is for the kids out there who aren't as quick on picking up on the finer things in life.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah-In This Home of Ice
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah-Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood (see?? long title that took forever to type)

The Boy Least Likely To have a few things going for them. Rockin' cliffhanger name, the Britishness, a great debut album title, and adorable album artwork. Just look at this:


The Boy least Likely To-Be Gentle With Me

All Girl Summer Fun Band is a Portland girls-only club we all wish we could join. They make "fun, summery indie pop" that seems suitable for a day like today and today's special post theme.

All Girl Summer Fun Band-Video Game Heart
All Girl Summer Fun Band-Grass Skirt

I'm pooped! This post seems enormous. I hope it satiated your longname band hunger. If it didn't, tell me because there's plenty more. Like, for instance, Dodge over at My Old Kentucky Blog did a little feature on the band Suburban Kids With Biblical Names. Go there if you're still hungry you monster.

No comments: