Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Part of the Weekend Never Dies


Where would you like to be on a drizzly, cold, blustery day like today? Me, cuddled up basking in the glow of a new-to-me speaker system bleating out the new DVD Radio Soulwax: Part of the Weekend Never Dies. Maybe you've heard of Soulwax, or 2 Many DJ's, or Radio Soulwax, or maybe Nite Versions. Or maybe you too are very confused as to the difference (if there is one) between all those titles. The documentary settles all that near the beginning so don't you worry.

Part of the Weekend Never Dies does a really good job of what (I think) it meant to-showing the real pains of being on tour all the time. Take for example the brothers who are part of the band Soulwax, and the DJ's known as 2 Many DJ's. They usually play as a band, and then later as DJ's. In one point they mention being in sound check at 6 PM and not finishing until 4 AM for several months on end.

The documentary is a star-studded affair, including interviews with some of dance music's biggest stars like James Murphy, Erol Alkan, Justice, Tiga, Nancy Wang, Peaches, Klaxons, Kitsune, etc. The disc includes another live film of Soulwax's Nite Versions, which is full of audience antics and crazy awesome music. The film awed me to be truthful. And my respects to Soulwax for all their work as one of music's hardest working groups.

Part of the Weekend Never Dies was directed by Saam Farahmand. Watch a trailer here. Here's my favorite Soulwax remix:

Buy Part of the Weekend Never Dies from Insound.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I know I'm horribly late, but welcome back :-)

Anonymous said...

not too late because I feel like I just got home! great to be back.

Anonymous said...

which is full Cheap RS Goldof audience antics and crazy awesome music. The film awed me to be truthful. And my respects to Soulwax for all Diablo III itemstheir work as one of music's hardest working groups.